24 hours emergency service available

Find Us:


Why It’s Law to Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Your Home

July 16, 2019

There is no denying the importance to having installed carbon monoxide detectors in your home. The colourless, ordourless, and tasteless gas has been the culprit of thousands of deaths until the 2014 legislation that made it mandatory to have CO2 detectors installed by a licensed electrician in Toronto in your home.


As mentioned in 2 Preventative Tips to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, the legislation that enforces this rule is known as the Hawkings-Gignac Act. The Act is named after OPP Constable Laurie Hawkins and her family were poisoned by the gas due to a blocked chimney in their home just over a decade ago.


Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?


When humans breathe in carbon monoxide, oxygen is displaced and deprives critical organs – such as your heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. It is because CO2 has undetectable properties, that CO2 poisoning symptoms can occur quickly and without warning. Large amounts of the gas can deprecate your vital organs of oxygen in minutes – resulting in the loss of consciousness and suffocation.


How is carbon monoxide produced?


Carbon monoxide is produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal, and other types of fuels. Poor ventilation of appliances and engines in a sealed off space can allow the gas to accumulate quickly in a shorter amount of time. Common culprits include space heaters, vehicle exhaust systems, and furnaces.


How do I know if I am experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning?


One of the only ways you’ll know for sure if you are exposed to this poisonous gas is if you have a carbon monoxide detector installed by a licensed electrician in Toronto. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a dull headache, weakness and dizziness, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurry vision, and an overall loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these symptoms and suspect it may be due to carbon monoxide poisoning seek medical assistance immediately and get into fresh air.


How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in my own home?


The Hawkins-Gignac Act makes it mandatory for all homes to have a carbon monoxide detector installed by a licensed electrician in Toronto in their homes. That way you can detect a carbon monoxide leak almost immediately and react accordingly before it is too late.

Luckily, A.S. Electrical offers the latest in carbon monoxide sensors. Our certified technicians install, repair, and configure carbon monoxide detectors and warning systems both in residential and commercial buildings. Protect your family from the danger of carbon monoxide leaks by calling A.S. Electrical today!